So the other day I got the below from a company that wants me to write about them. The company rocks and I think it is a great idea....BUT...when I got to the part where they gave the gift comparisons, I almost peed myself.
Maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in but I am fairly certain that water buffalo and diamonds or HDTVs should not be used in the same document.
Anyway...I'd like for you all to read on and come to your own conclusions.
By replacing traditional holiday gifts with alternative gifts, you can help struggling farmers escape from poverty:
· Bottle of wine ($40) = 2 flocks of chickens and training to start an egg business
· Dinner for 2 at a nice steakhouse ($150) = 1 pig and a hive of honeybees and training in small biz
· Golf lessons ($500) = 2 water buffalo and training for a rice farmer to increase his yields
· Diamond earring studs ($1000) = 2 dairy cows for an African AIDS orphanage that will provide up to 8 gallons of milk a day to help improve children’s nutrition
· Burberry cashmere scarf ($200) = 1 llama, a trio of rabbits and a flock of chickens (and training!)
· Laptop computer ($800) = 1 cow and 2 goats and training in use of manure for biogas units
· Nintendo Wii game ($50) = Share of 1 dairy cow and community leadership training for women
· 42” HDTV monitor ($1200) = 10 high quality sheep for a women’s wool project business
· Rolex watch ($5000) = a whole “Ark” full of animals, 2x2, 2 cows, 2 sheep, 2 camels, 2 oxen, 2 water buffalo, 2 pigs, 2 beehives, 2 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 trios of ducks, 2 trios of rabbits, 2 trios of guinea pigs, 2 flocks of geese, 2 flocks of chicks, 2 llamas – and lots of values-based training to build strong communities
· Midsize company holiday party for clients ($30,000) = Fund an entire village’s escape from hunger and build a strong, just and equitable community through Heifer’s 12 Cornerstones training.
This year, celebrate your friends, family and colleagues with a gift in their honor to Heifer. It’s smart giving when giving has never been more important. Why not skip the presents this year, and change the world with lasting solutions for a better future.