Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blast From The Past

I just got back from a day out with the kids and decided to check my email. Among the spam and other miscellaneous emails, I had one from someone that I did not know. I almost deleted it but decided to see what it said. When I opened it, all it said was the name of my high school and the town I grew up in with a question mark.

My mind raced…who was this? I did not recognize the first name. I went to a very small school…I can usually place people…this time I could not. I replied to the email just saying, “Yes. Who is this?” About 15 minutes later I had another email from her. As it turns out that while I was in High School, we “spent some time together” one weekend. Now, am I an ass hole for this not connecting for me? I still had no idea who she was. She remembered me and her name or what she said that we did had no effect on my geriatric memory. Instantly I began to freak out…even before finishing the email. Please don’t …please don’t say something about a child. I quickly zoomed my eyes over her email for certain key words……SHIT! "Kid" is there…I thought I was going to throw up all over the keyboard. I tentatively scanned back to the beginning of that sentence and read it in full. Phew!!!!! It read, “I am not writing about a 20 year old kid.”

What a relief. I did have a few high school years when I thought that I was some sort of mini playboy in training. Still…nothing with regards to who this girl is. The other people she mentioned in her email …I remembered them…just nothing on her. Was it “selective memory deletion?”

Then I replied to her email with the first thing that came to mind…”I am sorry, but I don’t remember you.” Now I don’t know if that is something that I should have just kept to myself or not…..but shit, this was actually 25 years ago. When I told Insane Mama about the email and my response, she responded in a way that made me think that my reply …could have been phrased differently. OOOOPS!

Anyway, I asked her a bit more and about what she is doing and where she lives these days and found that she is still on the east coast, is a few years younger than me and is married with a 7 year old son.

It is always good to hear from people from the past…especially when they are not contacting you about something … unexpected… but I suppose it would have been a bit more nice if I actually knew who the heck she was.

8 Comments:

Candid Carrie said...

Usually uncomfortable moments come in sets of three. Unless it is you, then it is three times there.

Gucci Mama said...

Well, a twenty something magically belonging to you, and you just finding out after all this time would have been par for the course, no?

Insane Mama said...

Ahhh, not remembering a sexcapade=classic!

Lula! said...

Um...I'm the one who sent that e-mail to you. And I'm hurt you don't remember me. Dude.

SIKE!!!!

I had to go all high school and old school there and break out a classic phrase.
And I am just kidding, of course!

leezee52 said...

Ahhhh so you were wild in High School...now we know!

Rhea said...

Tell her to send an old picture. lol

You playboy you.

Thank goodness. Six children is a lot, seven would have been way too many. lol

Just kidding.

Mama Dawg said...

Ahhhh....I wish I didn't remember some people I went to school with but unfortunately, I remember every one. Yet I can't remember to give my cat his meds each day.

cheekie said...

note. never, ever, like even under water torture say to a woman 'i don't remember you'...this is probably the one instance where we will forgive a lie. that and when you say we look hot when we ask 'does my ass look fat in this?'...

:-)

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online